Scholarships are financial awards provided to the student by the government, individual organizations, and specific schools. They can be need based or merit (academic ability) based. Scholarships DO NOT need to be repaid.
Scholarships generally require a separate application in addition to the FAFSA and may having varying due dates. A list of scholarships is posted below.
Click on the links for more details. You can also visit the CollegeBoard Scholarship Search to search for the right scholarship for you.
List of Scholarships
- Varsity Tutors Scholarship: - $1,000 monthly contest - Eligibility: Current high school student planning to pursue a degree at an accredited U.S. post-secondary institution or current college student in the U.S. Contest Process Eligible students will submit an entry to the Varsity Tutors scholarship website. Entries must be complete and received by the end of each scholarship contest period. Limit one (1) entry per person during the entry period.
- TCI Student Scholarships: awards student scholarship(s) of up to $1,000 each to tall students who are under 21 years of age and attending their first year of college in the following Fall. The recipients must also meet the TCI height requirement minimums of 5'10" for women and 6'2" for men.
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund: offers many scholarships of varying award amounts to Hispanic graduating high school seniors.
- Golden Key: believes in rewarding its members for their academic, leadership and service excellence. To this end, the Society offers more than $600,000 in member-only scholarships. Golden Key’s scholarships and awards are administered by Golden Key headquarters annually and require a formal application. Each scholarship has a unique submission deadline and application process.
- The Ashtabula Soil and Water Conservation District: will annually award $500 scholarships to high school graduates or college students pursuing / majoring in a natural resource field. Scholarships are for one year. Candidates will be evaluated on academic achievement, involvement in community activities and course of study.
- Veterans of Foreign Wars - The Voice of Democracy: Established in 1947 to provide students grades 9-12 the opportunity to express themselves in regards to democratic ideas and principles. The national first-place winner receives a $30,000 scholarship paid directly to the recipient's American university, college, or vocational/technical school. Other national scholarships range from $1,000 - $16,000, & the first-place winner from each (state) VFW Department wins a minimum scholarship of $1,000 & an all-expense paid trip to Washington, D.C.
- Ronald McDonald House Charaties (RMHC): With education costs rising, a college education may seem out of reach. A partnership between Ronald McDonald House Charaties and its local Chapters opens the door to higher education for high school graduates. The RMHC U.S. Scholarship Program seeks to invest in students who are exemplary role models in their communities and have the initiative to fulfill their educational goals.
- The Cleveland Cavaliers Education Program: The 18-19 Scholarship application will be available to download at www.cavs.com/community starting October 2, 2017.
- How would I use the scholarship?
- Why I would benefit from it?
- Why I should be considered for the scholarship?
- Greater Ashtabula Chamber Foundation: Scholarship Application & Guidelines: This scholarship is able to help provide financial assistance to a deserving graduating high school student in Ashtabula County to encourage academic excellence, attain educational goals and succeed to their fullest ability. The value of the scholarship is $3,000.00. Two, $1,500.00 scholarships will be awarded on a one-time basis. Please see criteria, selection, required documentation in the PDF below. Deadline for all materials must be received by April 12, 2019.
- Merle A. Bieder Memorial Scholarship: Applicant must be American citizen, a senior at LHS or ATech and have a grade point average of 3.5 and 4.0 by the end of seven semesters of high school. Deadline is April 18, 2019. Please stop into the guidance office or see the PDF below for more information.
- T. William Truesdell Memorial Scholarship: Offered to a senior(s) who demonstrates solid academic achievement with an emphasis in mathematics and exhibits initiative in leadership skills. Recipient must pursue advanced education in a recognized trade, business, technical or college institution. Application Deadline is April 20, 2019. Please stop into the guidance office or see the PDF below for more information.
- Gene C. Gephart Memorial Scholarship: Applicant must be an American citizen with a grade point average between 2.5 and 4.0 by the end of seven semesters of high school and a participant of varsity football or varsity boys or girls basketball. Please stop into the guidance office or see the PDF below for more information. Deadline is April 15, 2019.
- Austin Elliot Tome Memorial Scholarship: One-Time award presented to a graduating senior from LHS who has demonstrated his or her Christian faith, love for athletics and strength of character in order to honor Austin's memory. Please stop into the guidance office or check out the PDF below. Deadline is March 29, 2019 NO later than 12 p.m.
- The Louis "Skip" Penna Scholarship: Applicant must submit a 500 word essay on the importance of "commitment" and "work ethic". For more information please stop into guidance or see the PDF below. Applications need to be turned into guidance by April 18, 2019.
- William D. Squires Scholarship: 15 scholarships are being offered to Ohio Seniors. Applications will be accepted from February 15th - April 15th. Please stop into guidance for more information or see below.
- Edward J. Harvey Scholarship Fund: Ashtabula Foundation: Any person wanting to apply must be a legal resident of Ashtabula County and graduating from a high school in Ashtabula County. Applicants must be planning to attend any higher education institution on a full time basis. For more information please see the pdf below or check out the link. Deadline is March 29, 2019.
- Anchors Aweigh Charter Chapter 2019 Scholarship Application: Application must be post marked by March 1, 2019 to continue the selection process. Applicants must have at least a 2.5 GPA, two letters of recommendation, provide an autobiography and be a resident of Ashtabula County. For more information please stop into the guidance office for application packet. You may also see the PDF below.
- Greater Ashtabula Chamber Foundation Scholarship: Scholarship value $3,000.00 - two, $1,500.00 scholarships will be awarded on a one-time basis to a graduating high school student in Ashtabula County. Please follow the link or stop into the guidance office for more information. There is also a PDF below. Deadline is April 12, 2019.
- William H. Searcy Memorial Scholarship: Applicants must be in an approved program for the preparation of teachers, be in the top 25% of their graduating class, be of sound character, demonstrate above-average achievement on college entrance exams, demonstrate involvement in extracurricular and community service, and be from one the public schools in Ashtabula County. For more information please stop into the guidance office or see the PDF below. Deadline is April 5, 2019.
- American of Italian Heritage: Four scholarships in the amount of $2,000.00 each will be awarded this year between Lake, Geauga, Cuyahoga, and Ashtabula counties. At least 1 parent of the applicant must be of Italian descent and must be graduating from high school. The selection committee is seeking to award well-rounded students who can demonstrate their dedication and commitment to continuing their education as who are in financial need. For more information stop into the guidance office for a Application Packet. Packet information is also located below as a PDF. Deadline is May 20, 2019.
- Ed Armstrong Scholarship: Selection for the scholarship is based on athletic performance, scholastic achievement, character, and the individual plans to further his or her education after high school. Applicant needs to have a minimum GPA of 2.8/4.0 and the achievement of at least one varsity letter in a varsity sport. Please see the PDF below or stop into the guidance office for more information. Deadline is April 19, 2019.
- Foundation for Appalachian Ohio: Scholarships offered through the Foundation for Appalachian Ohio (FAO) are made possible by the generosity of donors who support the post-secondary efforts of the region's students. Please review the following steps to complete the application process. Only complete applications will be considered. Students considering application make sure you have completed your FAFSA and your transcripts are up to date. Please see the PDF below for more information or stop into guidance. Deadline is March 19, 2019.
- AACSE Scholarship: LHS graduating senior based on a combination of GPA, school involvement, and community services. The applicant must be attending an accredited college or technical school. Complete the form below and return with the application to LHS Guidance by April 18, 2019.
- The Ashtabula High School Class of '53 Career Scholarship: Applicant must be an American citizen, graduated from both ATech and LHS with a GPA avg between 2.0-4.0. The applicant must have ALL parts of the application submitted by April 15, 2019. For more details please see the PDF below or stop into guidance for a hard copy.
- Ashtabula Lions Club Harris~Dean Memorial Scholarship 2019: Applicants must have senior standing at Lakeside or ATech and must be planning to attend an accredited American college or university on a full-time basis. Deadline is May 1, 2019. For more information and application stop into the guidance office. The application is in PDF form below.
- Paul Demshar "Pay It Forward" Scholarship: Deadline April 16, 2019 - NO EXCEPTIONS. This is a one-time award in the amount of $2,000.00. The scholarship pays funds directly to the recipient's school. Applicant must be a legal citizen of the U.S., live in Ashtabula County, have a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale, be accepted as a full time student at a college, university or trade program and demonstrate a need for financial help. Please see the PDF below for more information. You may also stop into the guidance office for a print out and application.
- 2019 ACMC Academy Summer Internship: For high school students interested in healthcare careers. Students will gain hands-on experience, have opportunities to have various one day placements, and be able to have both clinical and nonclinical experiences. Students must be attending a high school in Ashtabula County, be entering 11th or 12th grade for 18-19 school year, have an overall GPA of 3.0 and have NO more than 3 absences / tardies in the previous semester. Deadline for applications: March 22, 2019. ACMC Application Review: March 25-29. Candidate interviews: April 2019. For more information stop into the guidance office or see the PDF below.
- Sigma Phi Epsilon Balanced Man Scholarship CSU: If you are a male and looking at going to Cleveland State University in the fall then check out this scholarship. You must be registered to attend CSU, have a 3.0 GPA and not be affiliated with any other fraternity. Award total is $2,500 and will be awarded in the fall semester. Applicants and scholarship recipients are not required to join Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity. For more information please see the PDF below or stop into the guidance office.
- Morgan Rose Benjamin Scholarship: In memory of Morgan as this would have been her graduation year 2, $1,000 scholarships have been set up. Applicants must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher, have 2 recommendations from non family members and must write an essay of 250 words. Please see below for the PDF or stop into the guidance office for copies of the application.
- The Ashtabula Area Teacher's Association Memorial Scholarship: Graduating senior from LHS who is planning a career in education. Please see PDF below or stop into the guidance office for more information. Deadline to submit application is: April 12, 2019.
- Educational Office Professionals of Ohio: Lila M, Van Sweringen $1,000.00 Deadline: February 15, 2019. Open to all Ohio residents who attend Ohio high schools or colleges and will be attending a post-secondary institution during 2019-2020 academic year. The scholarship will be awarded to one who wishes to pursue an office-related career. For more information please stop into the guidance office of see the pdf below.
- Ohio Gas Association Scholarship Foundation: Students who plan to pursue a career in the natural gas industry or related energy field. Interest in the natural gas field is suggested, although those interested in general business curricula are also invited to apply, since those majors are also applicable to the industry. For more information please open the pdf below or stop into the guidance office. Deadline: March 15, 2019.
- Ashtabula County Safety Council: Applicant must have a high school diploma or GED. Applicant must be a U.S. Citizen or Legal U.S. Residents. Applicant must be an employee, or spouse/ child of an employee of an active member company of the Ashtabula County Safety Council. Applicant must show a desire to complete a training/degree program at an accredited institution. Priority will be given to Applicant’s who show an interest in Safety Related Training or Education but may be awarded to a student in any career field. Deadline March 14, 2019. For more information stop into the guidance office or see the pdf below.
- First Commonwealth Bank Scholarship Fund: Eligible graduating high school seniors must have a 3.0 GPA, in Ashtabula County, provide an essay (specified in application). Applications may also be submitted online following the provided link. Please see below for pdf or you can stop into the guidance office. Deadline is March 1, 2019.
- ZONTA International - Empowering women through service and advocacy: The Young Women in Public Affairs (YWPA) Award Program is to encourage young women to participate in public affairs by recognizing a commitment to the volunteer sector, evidence of volunteer leadership achievements and a dedication to empowering women worldwide through service and advocacy. District/region recipients receive $1,500.00. Eligibility is for those women 16-19 years of age on 1st April each year. For more information please click on the link above or stop into the guidance office for more the application.
- The Lester Marrison Teacher Education Book Grant: Applicant must be a graduating senior currently enrolled in a school district in the Northeast Region of the Ohio School Boards Association, and have plans to major in teacher education at an accredited college or university in the state of Ohio. Student must have a 3.00 GPA, demonstrate potential as an education leader and competent professional; must demonstrate community involvement and have evidence of good character. Also, the demonstrated financial need will be considered in the selection process. Deadline: April 15, 2019.
- Brandt's 2019 Youth Scholarship Application: Awarded to a Senior Student who will be attending an accredited full four year college or an accredited two year technical institute in 2019-2020. The student must be a resident of Ashtabula County. Approximately $500-$1,000 in scholarships will be awarded. Please stop into the guidance office for more information or see the pdf below. Deadline: May 1, 2019.
- The George J. Record School Foundation: Established through the late George J. Record, a Conneaut industrialist. Deadline: May 20, 2019. Please read the pdf below or stop in for a card copy in the guidance office.
- Ashtabula County Farm Bureau, Inc: To implement a youth scholarship for any students attending a full-time college, university, or technical school. Scholarship funds are to be used directly for tuition, fees, lab fees & books. Deadline: April 15, 2019. Applicant must be a resident of Ashtabula County, parent's / guardian's must be paid Ashtabula County Farm Bureau members both at the time of application and time of pay out, students must be in appropriate school working towards an undergraduate degree and show a 3.0 GPA. Also, a major in agriculture or a support field is preferred, but not required.
- The Jay Sartini Memorial Scholarship - Ashtabula County Business Exchange (AcBE): The organization supports secondary business education in Ashtabula County through scholarships and mentorship programs while encouraging and sustaining entrepreneurship.For applicant information please stop into the guidance office or see the pdf below. The Deadline is April 15, 2019. This scholarship is for multiple $1,000.00 awarded to graduating high school students entering a college, university or trade school.
- Drug Free Club of America Scholarship Contest of 2019: Have you been a member of LHS DFCA this school year? If so, you can stop into the guidance office or see below for the pdf on application rules and guidelines. Deadline: April 5, 2019. All essays MUST be turned into Mrs. Nooney by 3 PM on April 5th!
- Conneaut Hospital Thrift Shop: Applicants must be at least 17, enrolled as a high school senior or graduate, and a resident of Ashtabula County, OH. A submitted application, official transcripts and necessary information needs to be provided for the scholarship committee by: Deadline: June 1, 2019. For more information contact Barbara Disterlrath via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org. A PDF is below and more information is located in the guidance office.
- John F. Wilson Memorial Scholarship: Candidates for this scholarship are students who are interested in going into the natural resource course of study. This scholarship is $500. You must be a resident of Ashtabula County, have a 3.00 GPA or better and be able to show financial need. Deadline to send in application is May 10, 2019. Please stop into guidance for an application or see the PDF below.
- Erie Bank Scholarship: One winner from each eligible school will receive a $500 scholarship, to be used for continuing business education.High School graduating seniors with intentions to further their education at a college or university and seeking a business-related degree. Student must attend a high school in the ERIEBANK market area. Dependents of Directors or Officers of ERIEBANK are not eligible to apply. Deadlines: Applicant form, essay, and letter of recommendation must be received by 11:59 p.m. March 17, 2019. Winners will be announced on March 29, 2019. Please stop into the guidance office for more information or see the pdf below. You may also contact Jill Barry by calling 814-455-8790 or email Barry@ERIEBANK.bank.